Friday, April 8, 2016

Review: Hold Your Breath (Search and Rescue #1) by Katie Ruggle



Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Publication Date: April 5, 2016 

Blurb:

In the remote Rocky Mountains, lives depend on the Search & Rescue brotherhood. But in a place this far off the map, trust is hard to come by and secrets can be murder...

As the captain of Field County's ice rescue dive team, Callum Cook is driven to perfection. But when he meets new diver Louise "Lou" Sparks, all that hard-won order is obliterated in an instant. Lou is a hurricane. A walking disaster. And with her, he's never felt more alive...even if keeping her safe may just kill him.

Lou's new to the Rockies, intent on escaping her controlling ex, and she's determined to make it on her own terms...no matter how tempting Callum may be. But when a routine training exercise unearths a body, Lou and Callum find themselves thrust into a deadly game of cat and mouse with a killer who will stop at nothing to silence Lou-and prove that not even her new Search and Rescue family can keep her safe forever.

Review:

I am a little disappointed with the story. The story for me is separated in three parts. The romance, Lou's stalker and HDG. Two out of the total three parts were resolved in this book, but to my disappointment the case of the Headless Dead Body wasn't. I understand that it will serve as a solid connection to this book and the next one, but I really wanted to see what happened to that poor guy. I hope I will find out in Fan the Flames aka Ian's book. If the mystery goes on for more than two books the author must have a great explanation behind it otherwise I will be greatly dissatisfied.

Lou's stalker was a very interesting addition to the story and is more in the spotlight than HDG case is. HDG was here first, but was pushed back when the stalker decided that standing in the shadows wasn't enough. What came to as surprise to me is the fact that The story is never told from Callum's point of view, but we see what was going on his the stalker's mind frequently enough. The author gives enough hints for the reader to find o0ut who the stalker is which for me is both bad and good. Good, because I don't have to wonder who he is and bad because it took the element of surprise. I got lost a little in the final confrontation between our dynamic duo and the stalker, but I realized what was happening just in time to enjoy seeing him going down.

And finally the romance. Lou's relationship with the whiteboard was my favorite one. I swear if I am going to remember one thing from this book that is going to be Lou writing on it while trying to solve HDG's case. I would love to see both of them in Ian's book. Of course, there is Callum who happens to own the whiteboard. He wasn't bad, but to be honest, he wasn't my kind of man. He is protective and a great guy, but he wasn't the guy for me.

My rating for this book is 4 maybe 3.75 stars. The series so far seems good and I plan to continue reading it. I want to see Rob getting a book or at least a happily ever after some time before the series ends. I will be recommending the book because the positive things overcame the negative and I feel it's my fault I didn't appreciate Callum as much as I should have. Lou is a good heroine who has some backbone and doesn't shrink when danger is at her doorstep.


No comments:

Post a Comment